The mixing of peoples and cultures is reflected in Central Macedonia’s cuisine and recipes. The cuisine of the region definitely has a multicultural spirit with its Byzantine, Jewish, Pontic and Oriental influences, creating an unparalleled blend of flavors and aromas.
The region is known for its exceptional desserts such as:
- Bougatsa, a pastry with layers of phyllo filled with cream, cheese, minced meat or spinach.
- Panorama’s “Trigona” [cream filled phyllo cones]
- Constantinople syrupy sweets
- Stuffed tsoureki [sweet bread] is now the trademark of the city.
- Akanes: Dusted with sugar, they look like Turkish delight, but they’re quite different. What sets them apart is fresh goat’s butter and spring water from Mt Lailias.